Club Helsinki, Hudson


 The week before last week, we went to the Magnetic Fields show at Club Helsinki in Hudson. I hadn't really been to Hudson before outside of an Amtrak car, and I'd always heard great things about it. You can just get tickets to see the music, but it is way classier to get a table and eat dinner while you watch the show. Also, the menu is great. It is Southern inspired and makes use of local, seasonal ingredients.


I got their first and ordered a glass of Pinor Noir which was very tasty, and some of the fried okra with a Cajun remoulade to start. I happen to love okra done right, and this dish had a nice corn meal crust which wasn't greasy at all. I took in the surroundings, like what I imagine the Copacabana to have been like in some far off past decade.


Scott showed up and we got some of the delicious beers from nearby Chatham Brewing. For dinner, I got the Helsinki burger, which was really juicy and "topped with applewood smoked bacon,  roasted portobello, carmelized onion, NY cheddar" with housecut fries. It was fabulous. Scott the "Great Aunt Theo's Fried Chicken", which comes with "mashed yukon, gravy, and collard greens". It was the most flavorful fried chicken I had ever tasted. Yes, it is hard to screw that up, I am sure, but it was legitimately outstanding fried chicken. The spot is filled with moody ambiance, and it really has a way of taking you out of the mental space of your work week. We are so lucky to have such a unique, creative, classy, and fun venue so close to home. As a bonus, the food is also great. I cannot wait to go back, see an interesting musical act, drink a local beer, and probably order that pot pie they have with an aged New York cheddar crust. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TWD, Baking with Julia: Pizza Rustica

French food at Chez Nous, Schenectady

Boca Bistro Bachelorette Party