Yellow Rock Cafe at Indian Ladder Farms


Today we went for brunch at the Yellow Rock Cafe at Indian Ladder Farms. I loved the decor (kitschy signs, fresh-cut lilacs) and the tablecloths (mismatched and vintage looking prints).




I had only really been to Indian Ladder Farms before in the fall, but it turns out in the spring and summer they have berry picking, and also still have their cafe and shop open. It is great because the ingredients in the dishes served at the cafe are all from local farms. Everything is really fresh, and very tasty. Scott had the Guilderville, and the menu describes it as: "Our garlic herb wrap stuffed with thinly sliced deli ham, Swiss cheese, sliced ILF apples, and Zaz mustard, and then grilled to perfection." And I had the Helderburger:"Truly an unforgettable hamburger made with all local ingredients. Six ounces of freshly ground, all-natural beef from Morning Fog Farms of Berne, NY, topped with leaf lettuce, locally grown sweet onion, and ripe tomato served on a fresh grilled hard roll. Served with French fries. Fries prepared in zero trans-fat cottonseed and canola oil." It was all delicious. Scott really loved the mustard in his wrap, and my burger was very juicy and properly cooked. It was not busy at all since it is not apple cider doughnut season, and also a rainy day.

Funny enough I totally wanted to have our wedding at Indian Ladder Farms. I said it would smell like the herb garden, and Scott said it would smell like cow waste. I still think that it would have been great, but I do admit going there on a rainy day (which could totally be one's wedding day), does make me realize it was not a perfect idea. Still, I love the direct connection between agriculture and dining. It does not get closer to the source than that. I do realize that as city people we would be sort of posers holding up a lifestyle we don't participate in as a pretty prop.

Anyways, the shop there is really great. I purchase Ric Orlando's book, where he gives away the show with recipes for beloved New World Bistro dishes such as Watermelon Gazpacho (this could make a great summer lunch to take to work), Ropa Vieja, No Crash Risotto. We also bought some pink/green/black Hudson Valley peppercorns, rhubarb jam made by their neighbor, great looking asparagus, and (most importantly) delicious doughnuts.

I also wanted to see the baby animals, but there was an admission charge for children. Not being a child myself, maybe they would have let me in, although maybe that makes me silly for wanting to get in to see the baby animals, who knows.

Anyways, great times! Great lunch! And here I thought this was a fun activity only for the fall. Considering what a long wait it can be to get into somewhere like Cafe Madison for brunch on the weekends, it was fun to have a low-key, fresh, tasty brunch without having to wait or feel crowded in. Brunch at Indian Ladder Farms almost seems like a really great, well-kept secret.

Comments

  1. I love going to brunch there on weekends and then going berry picking & visiting Rosie the Scottish Highland cow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE Rosie the Scottish Highland Cow!!:) How did I think you could only go there in the fall? Crazy! I think maybe because where I am from in MI you can only go to the cider mills in the fall, but Indian Ladder Farms really has a lot more to offer than just cider.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't even realize when I posted this that Rosie is still my icon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TWD, Baking with Julia: Pizza Rustica

French food at Chez Nous, Schenectady

Boca Bistro Bachelorette Party